NBA JAM: On Fire Edition - johnz1's Projects

Talk about any and all other basketball video games including NBA Jam, NBA Street, college basketball games, and more. General basketball video game discussion and comparison topics are also welcome here.

NBA JAM: On Fire Edition - johnz1's Projects

Postby johnz1 on Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:07 am

This thread is a central location for listing all of my NBA JAM: On Fire Edition projects. Only two have been released, but more are on the way. I'll try to keep the first post updated and post replies when something interesting is happening.

Released Projects

NBA JAM: Legends On Fire Edition
NBA JAM: Legends On Fire Edition is a historical conversion mod featuring the best players on the best 67 teams of the last four decades. Each team is from a specific era.
Latest version: v1.1
Download page: NBA JAM: Legends On Fire Edition
Project thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=114923

NBA JAM: On Fire Edition 2023
NBA JAM: On Fire Edition 2023 is a roster update mod featuring 21 teams from the 2022-23 season.
Latest version: v1.0 (final release)
Download page: NBA JAM: On Fire Edition 2023
Project thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=115019

Projects in Development

Expanded Edition Projects
There are four new projects in development. Two of them are much further along than the other two. For now, I'd like to keep them somewhat of a mystery. When I'm closer to a release, I'll provide all of the details.
Estimated release date: 2024

NBA JAM: On Fire Edition Modding Guide
This is a guide for how to mod NBA JAM: On Fire Edition for PS3. It details everything that I currently know how to do. It includes a large text document, image files, templates, spreadsheets, and an editor application.

NBA JAM: Legends On Fire Edition v2.0
More players. More heads. More customizations. Major player ratings changes.
The new technical achievement in this release is that it uses the ATTRIBDB and textures from the last EA roster update in 2013 (rend_roster_update_big.ast). That means there are more players to replace (and especially more skinny players to replace). Unfortunately, this shuffled the player models so I had to back to square one and re-plan all the player model swaps.

Projects on Hold

NBA JAM: Franchise Legends On Fire Edition
As it is currently planned, NBA JAM: Franchise Legends On Fire Edition would feature the best players of the last four decades for every franchise. This would be similar to Legends On Fire Edition, but there would only be one team per franchise (just like stock OFE).
I want to create this project, but without the ability to edit ATTRIBDB, there are just too many compromises that have to made. Until ATTRIBDB can be edited, I'm going to focus on the other projects I have in development.

Research (Please Help!)
The most important thing to figure out is how to read and edit ATTRIBDB (attribdb_big.ast). This will make most things far easier to change, and will open up many mod opportunities. The description of the file and a $300 bounty is posted here: https://reshax.com/topic/186-300-attrib ... ition-ps3/

Here are the non-ATTRIBDB things I'd like to accomplish:
- Edit the size and location of uniform numbers & letters
- Edit shot package animations
- Change the color of team-controlled accessories
- Edit the heads of coaches
- Edit announcer audio
- Edit how long shorts are (many modern players wear shorts are in between the game's two shorts lengths)
- Edit dunk animations

Highlight Videos
My friends and I regularly play 4-player JAM online using Parsec. I try to record the best games and post them on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@NBAJAMOnFireEdition
We usually play at 10PM EST. If you're in the eastern half of the US and are decently good at the game, feel free to PM me here or in Discord if you'd like to join us.
Last edited by johnz1 on Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:33 am, edited 4 times in total.
johnz1

Re: NBA JAM: On Fire Edition - johnz1's Projects

Postby Andrew on Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:53 am

Great stuff in the works, great stuff already out! Hope someone can get to the bottom of the ATTRIBDB file.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby BPDHoplite on Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:25 am

Awesome to see fantastic work
Used to be called DaCrispy

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkG6-Q ... 6S0t9jikJQ
NCAA Bsketball 18 - viewtopic.php?f=153&t=104626
College Hoops 2K - viewtopic.php?f=136&t=106815
Update Mods for NBA 2K11 - viewtopic.php?f=136&t=105434
Updated G-League for 2K11 - viewtopic.php?f=136&t=106723
Discord - https://discord.gg/J6mFNkeFDd
BPDHoplite
Still the NLSCs resident Jimmermaniac
Contributor

Postby johnz1 on Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:06 am

Added the "Projects on Hold" section, with an overview of NBA JAM: Franchise Legends On Fire Edition.
johnz1

Return to Other Basketball Games