NBA 2K13 FAQ

Patchmaking tutorials for NBA 2K13.

NBA 2K13 FAQ

Postby JaoSming on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:48 pm

Where is my main NBA 2K13 folder?
    If you have the Steam version of the game you can find your main NBA 2K13 folder here;
    C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\nba 2K13

The default DVD version of the game installs to;
    C:\Program Files\2K Sports\NBA 2K13

If you have another version of NBA 2K13 you should right click your desktop shortcut, click properties, and then click "Open File Location" to find your installation.

Where is my NBA 2K13 Saves folder?
    For XP/Vista users goto the Start Menu and click Run.... then type in %appdata% with the % signs. Then click 2K Sports, then NBA 2K13. That is your saves folder.

For Windows 7 users you can type %appdata% in your Start Menu's search bar and press enter. It will take you to your Roaming folder and then you can click 2K Sports and NBA 2K13.

Where do I put the zip/rar file I downloaded?
    You need to extract the game files from the zip/rar file before the game will recognize them. Windows has built in support for zip files whereas rar files need to be extracted with winrar or another program.

How do I use these .iff files?
    If you look in your main folder you will notice hundreds of .iff files. These files are the game's container files for textures, models, and other game assets. Unfortunately you need to manually backup the original game files whereas NBA Live PC games didn't require you to overwrite these files.

To properly use a modified iff file for NBA 2K13 follow this procedure.
    1. Extract iff files from the rar/zip file you downloaded
    2. Find the original iff file in the main folder
    3. Rename original iff file to back it up (ex. uh005.iff -> uh005 - Backup.iff)
    4. Copy the downloaded iff files into the main folder
Keep in mind that we do NOT allow original game files to be posted for download. Do not request original files.

How do I know what file controls what?
    Global, Gamedata, and other files control many aspects of the game, too many to list.

Files beginning with "u" and "r" are uniform files. The first being home, away, and alternates whereas the second are for retro jerseys.

Files beginning with "s" are stadium files, "f" for floor files, and "logo" files are obviously for logos.

To find what number (ex. uh005.iff) cooresponds to what team, please reference this thread;
    viewtopic.php?f=150&t=88186

"png" files are player CF files, they contain that player's cyberface texture, tattoo textures, and other things that are specific to that player.

To find a specific player's number, reference this thread;
    viewtopic.php?f=150&t=88337

How can I create my own patch?
    This forum was created with Beginners in mind - viewforum.php?f=150
    If you can think of a better way to teach something or need another tutorial for something else, please post here or PM me.

Essentially it is OK to think of .iff files the same way you think of zip/rar files, they are container files with textures and models that can be imported and exported. Once you export a texture you can use Photoshop or a free program like GIMP to edit the textures and then import them back into a iff file.

Once you create your patched iff file, take some screenshots, upload it to our Downloads Database, and feel free to start your own thread in our Releases forum.

How do I take screenshots?
    Some people have not been able to use "print screen" to properly capture screenshots. You can use a program like Fraps or a free alternative to properly capture screenshots in 2K13.

To upload the screenshots for us to view you can attach them directly to your post, or use a free upload service like http://www.imgur.com to host the screenshot online.

How can I edit my Roster/My Player/Association file outside of the game?
    Vl@d Zola Jr. has recreated his REDitor program for NBA 2K13. There is a free version available, but some file support and features will have to come at a cost for the editor, just like last year. You can download it here - viewtopic.php?f=149&t=88569

Leftos create a fully functional and free Roster Editor this year as well. You can download that here - viewtopic.php?f=149&t=88237

For many, many, many, different video tutorials, please take a look at this thread - viewtopic.php?f=150&t=89054

Who can I ask for help?
    For general help with the forums you can PM all Administrators or Moderators. If you want to ask a question to the site owner feel free to PM Andrew.

For patching help you can contact JaoSming, Pdub, or Lean. You can also try PMing patchers that regularly release patches here but they aren't obligated to respond like we are :) .

If you have any other questions feel free to ask them and I'll add them to this post.
This topic was moved from NBA 2K13 by Andrew on Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:20 pm.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Re: NBA 2K13 FAQ

Postby Andrew on Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:30 am

Perfect. (Y)
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Return to NBA 2K13 Tutorials & FAQs