Next Podcast: Realism of Video Games vs What We See on TV

Talk about any and all other basketball video games including NBA Jam, NBA Street, college basketball games, and more. General basketball video game discussion and comparison topics are also welcome here.

Next Podcast: Realism of Video Games vs What We See on TV

Postby Andrew on Sat May 11, 2013 8:36 am

In next week's episode of the NLSC Podcast, the main topic of discussion is going to be the level of realism that we see in basketball video games compared to what we actually see when watching the NBA on TV. We'd like to get some discussion going here in the Forum first though, so we can read out some of your thoughts during the show.

So...how would you rate the realism we've seen in basketball games, when making a comparison to what we see on TV? How close is it to representing the real sport? How much realism do you want to see, or believe there needs to be in basketball games? Sound off below!
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Re: Next Podcast: Realism of Video Games vs What We See on T

Postby JaoSming on Sat May 11, 2013 8:49 am

And this goes beyond presentation, we're talking about AI, graphics, animations, movement, gameplay, collisions, etc.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby shadowgrin on Sat May 11, 2013 10:10 am

Gamer.
The film stars Gerard Butler as a participant in an online game in which participants can control human beings as players
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby TGsoGood on Sat May 11, 2013 10:11 am

although you can never have the game play out exactly how it would in real life as far as outcomes of games and the season goes, I just wish the collisions would work accurately. Also minimize warping issues. I hate when I go for a block and my arm goes through the ball or through the player. I also hate when my player is aligned in correct defensive stance and swipes for a steal only to see his hand go through the ball or some other bs. It doesn't kill the experience for me though.

The AI could really use a boost for next gen when it comes to things like the computer teams changing line ups to benefit their team in different ways. A rebuilding team will play its prospects and young guys more. A contender will lean on its key players more and count on role players to fill out their roles.

Other things I would like to see
Health ratings (possibly for each ligament or section of the body) example:
Left Arm 99 (healthy) Back 75 (from surgery) R. Foot 79 (due to age) , etc ... This way it pays off in game to have a good trainer on staff if you have injury prone players or older players. Also big guys have more foot and leg issues than smaller guys.
Follow me on PATREON https://www.patreon.com/TGsoGood
Consider donating: http://cash.me/$TheJohnsonFamily or http://paypal.me/4TheGoods
Follow me on twitter @TGsoGood
Check me out on youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPydhZ ... PeRSmEVynQ

NBA 2K21 TGsoGood Mods and releases - viewtopic.php?f=267&t=110608
NBA 2K17 TGsoGood Mods and releases - viewtopic.php?f=225&t=102251#p1860681
NBA 2K14 TGsoGood Mods and releases - viewtopic.php?f=153&t=96056
TGsoGood
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 22cedric on Sat May 11, 2013 11:32 am

I want to see more realism from a Gameplay & Presentation standpoint. I want to see a pregame. halftime, & postgame show. NBA cheerleaders should wear team specific attire. I want photorealistic player models, crowds, & stadiums. There should be no more warping, sliding, & robotic animations in NBA b-ball videogames leading into the next gen consoles.
22cedric

Postby JaoSming on Sat May 11, 2013 11:49 am

I done did made rambly video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbohJyIv3Zs
phpBB [video]

but of course, more comments and replies to all this and comments on that video in the podcast. Keep them coming!
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby BrotherJRB on Sat May 11, 2013 3:00 pm

JaoSming wrote:I done did made rambly video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbohJyIv3Zs
phpBB [video]

but of course, more comments and replies to all this and comments on that video in the podcast. Keep them coming!

I made a larger post on the outside but I want to ramble too!

I think what makes video games fun is really different for many people. I enjoy 48 minute games where role players may decide who wins or loses. I enjoy controlling a 32 team association. I enjoy always playing as a low ranked team for a challenge against the CPU. I tweak and edit the game to make it as basketbally as I can.

For me fun is relative to control. I don't see myself playing video games as much as controlling an NBA game from the perspective of one team. The challenge isn't whether I clicked the right button combo but whether I should have posted up David West instead of running pick n roll with Paul George. And the very fact when I play 2k13 that I am thinking solely in terms of basketball strategy not video game strategy means this game is very realistic to me.

When I look back at all the games made from NBA Live 2000 onward the progression has been great. NBA 2k13 reached the watermark for me that this game is realistic enough. The other basketball game I have fun playing is College Hoops 2k8. I have fun because I have an insane amount of control (for a console game) on the game however the game doesn't play anything close to realistic college basketball (I would love if they applied 2k13's feel to a new college hoops game....its sad I literally dream about this at night).

I often find myself in the minority with video game players. I am 32 and my wheelhouse for video games outside of sports comes from games like Baldurs Gate, Neverwinternights, Dragon Age.....what all those games had was a great modding community to make the games what we wanted. And the debate about realism was always there as well. The comparison to sim players was hardcore D&D rule guys vs. hack n slash etc.... My point on this tangent is that realism is very subjective.

A few things I would like to see from my realism perspective.
    Different player models. Editable arms, legs, bellys, shoulders etc.....
    Unique player short sizes, not team based (the John Stockton rule)
    Off hand skill attributes with animation packages based off this skill (layups and dunks)
    Palm the ball attribute with animation packages based off that skill
    Refine the running/hustle attributes to actually represent players who stand and watch alot versus those hustle every play
    Expand the game to include a generic integrated college league and world basketball leagues (This to me is the promise of next gen. More power should equal deeper games with multiple league/schedule/scenarios. How great would it be to be in association and you can pop over the the college basketball schedule page and play a game with next years potential draft picks. Just import College Hoops 2k8 code figure out how to integrate it with a 2k association and you would have awesome! I fully expect Leftos to make this happen (Y) )
    Honestly if all they did was figure out a way to integrate College Hoops with the NBA2k I think that would push realism over the charts. Draft classes are nice but how about full integration of college and world leagues into the 2k basketball brand. I know this would be off the court realism but this would be my push.
2013 is the year?
Thanks to Vl@d, Leftos and all the other patchers for their hard work.
BrotherJRB

Postby [Q] on Sat May 11, 2013 8:02 pm

jrlocke wrote:Off hand skill attributes with animation packages based off this skill (layups and dunks)
Palm the ball attribute with animation packages based off that skill

these should be already in bball games imo. they are already in fifa. players are rated 1-5 stars on how well they shoot with their wrong foot. not sure if it affects ball control on that foot too
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby TGsoGood on Thu May 16, 2013 9:54 pm

shouldn't injured players sit the bench in suits for home games. It's possible
Follow me on PATREON https://www.patreon.com/TGsoGood
Consider donating: http://cash.me/$TheJohnsonFamily or http://paypal.me/4TheGoods
Follow me on twitter @TGsoGood
Check me out on youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPydhZ ... PeRSmEVynQ

NBA 2K21 TGsoGood Mods and releases - viewtopic.php?f=267&t=110608
NBA 2K17 TGsoGood Mods and releases - viewtopic.php?f=225&t=102251#p1860681
NBA 2K14 TGsoGood Mods and releases - viewtopic.php?f=153&t=96056
TGsoGood
Contributor
Contributor

Postby JaoSming on Thu May 16, 2013 10:32 pm

and its been done in past versions of 2K, i dont recall seeing it this year though
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Return to Other Basketball Games