NBA JAM: On Fire Edition 2023

Talk about any and all other basketball video games including NBA Jam, NBA Street, college basketball games, and more. General basketball video game discussion and comparison topics are also welcome here.

Postby johnz1 on Sun Apr 23, 2023 3:08 pm

phpBB [video]

Download - NBA JAM: On Fire Edition 2023

Code: Select all
======================================
v1.0
by johnz1
======================================

=== OVERVIEW / TL;DR ===
- NBA JAM: On Fire Edition 2023 is a roster update mod of NBA JAM: On Fire Edition for PlayStation 3.
- 21 teams have been updated for the 2022-23 season.
- New teams, logos, player heads, player bodies, uniforms, arenas, headshots, shoes, loading screen photos, crowd signs, and more.
- This mod is playable on the RPCS3 emulator and jailbroken PlayStation 3.

=== FEATURE LIST ===
- 21 teams updated to the 2022-23 season
   - To the fans of the Knicks, Thunder, Raptors, Pacers, and Magic: I'm sorry I didn't have time to add your team yet
   - To the fans of the Hornets, Pistons, Rockets, and Spurs: I'm sorry your team currently sucks.  Things will get better.
- Rosters are accurate as of April 2023
- 53 new in-game player heads
- Accurate player body accessories
- New arenas
- New uniforms
- All team logos have been recreated in a new visual style
- New crowd signs.  For example:
   DEN: "Joker"
   CLE: "Spyda"
   ATL: "Ice Trae"
- New loading screen photos
- More signature shots are used
- Everything is unlocked.  No hidden, unlockable players or teams.  The only hidden team is the final Road Trip opponent, and they are exclusive to Road Trip mode.
- Some impossible (or silly) achievements are automatically completed by default.  For example:
   - Sportsman ("Finish any online game")
   - Moneybags ("Buy items in the Jam Store")
   - Brick ("Miss 3-pointers in Road Trip or Arena")
   - Learning Experiences ("Lose games")
- Replaced "Big Head Mode" with "USA Ball" as the default unlocked privilege

=== PLAYER RATINGS ===
- Ratings have been adjusted for 4-player gameplay.  3PT, SPD, STL, and DRB have been lowered to balance the game.  With the stock ratings, the game tends to become a 3 point shootout because, with a good shooting release, you can expect nearly every 3 pointer to go in.  Exclusively taking 3's is the most viable strategy for winning.  Because of this, the 3PT rating has been shifted down so that the maximum rating is 8 instead of 10.  Consider an 8 3PT to be a 10, a 7 to be a 8 or 9, a 6 to be a 7, and so on.
- This game isn't a sim, and neither are the player ratings.  Ratings weren't directly derived from player stats.  Players are generally good at what they are good at in real life.  How good their ratings are is usually based on how good they were overall in real life.
- CTH is mostly used as an "overall" rating.  Points were given or taken away for players who are especially clutch or not clutch.

=== KNOWN ISSUES / LIMITATIONS ===
- 9 teams are missing.  Please don't request that I add these teams.  The answer is always the same: player heads and uniforms take a long time to create.  I simply haven't been able to make every player or team.  There may be more releases of this project with more teams and players, but asking for this won't make it happen any faster.
- Two players (Kristaps Porzingis and Nikola Vucevic) use replacement heads from NBA JAM: On Fire Edition.  I just haven't gotten around to making their heads, and the replacement ones are good enough for me.
- The 9 teams that haven't been created exist as Road Trip opponents, using replacement heads.
- Some player body shapes (i.e. skinny, average, or muscular) aren't accurate.
- Some new players use the same "SpeechID" as stock players that have the same last name.  For example, you'll hear Anthony Davis referred to as "Baron Davis".  However, the announcer usually doesn't say the player's first name, so I think using the substitute "SpeechID" is worth it.
- The New Orleans Pelicans are called the "New Orleans Hornets" and the Charlotte Hornets are called the "Charlotte Bobcats".
- Some arenas don't have the right team logos in the video panel.
- The Beastie Boys images in the menu for the final Road Trip matchup haven't been replaced yet.

=== INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS ===
- Legally (and ethically), you must own the original NBA JAM: On Fire Edition in order to play this game.
- This mod is playable on PS3 emulators and jailbroken PlayStation's.
- I recommend playing on RPCS3.  The game runs flawlessly and can look very good when you up the internal resolution ("Resolution Scale").
- This game has a unique PS3 TITLE_ID.  It has been changed from "NPUB30558" to "NPUB02023".  Because of this, it can be installed without conflicting with the stock NBA JAM OFE or NBA JAM: Legends On Fire Edition.  NBA JAM OFE 2023 won't read the save game and roster update files from NBA JAM OFE.
- RPCS3 installation instructions:
   1.  Install RPCS3 using the quickstart instructions here: https://rpcs3.net/quickstart
   2.  In RPCS3, click the "File" menu and select "Install Packages/Raps/Edats"
   3.  Inside the ZIP file that you downloaded ("NBA_JAM_On_Fire_Edition_2023_v1.0_by_johnz1.zip"), go into the "Installation Files" folder and install both of the PKG files ("NBA_JAM_On_Fire_Edition_2023_v1.0_by_johnz1-Part_1.pkg" and "NBA_JAM_On_Fire_Edition_2023_v1.0_by_johnz1-Part_2.pkg").
   4.  "NBA JAM: On Fire Edition 2023" should show up in the game list now.  Start the game.
   5.  The first time you play a game, it may be slow and some textures may be missing because the emulator needs to build the shader cache.  I recommend you start a game, let it run for about one minute, then restart RPCS3.
- RPCS3 optimization instructions:
   WARNING: This was written in early 2023 and may not be entirely accurate if you're reading this months or years later.
   1.  In RPCS3, click the "Pads" button to open the Gamepad Settings menu.  Assuming you're playing with a controller, change the "Handler".  I recommend "XInput" if you have an Xbox controller.  If you want to play multiplayer, you'll need to do this for each player/controller.
   2.  Start a game against the CPU to determine if it is running at full speed or not.  Leave fullscreen mode by double-clicking or hitting Alt+Enter.  The title of the game window lists the FPS (frames per second).  You want this to be at or very close to 60.
      - If the game doesn't run at 60 FPS:
         - Stop the game and click the "Config" button again.  Under the "CPU" tab, enable "Enable SPU loop detection".  Be aware that this will likely cause some audio issues, but it may be the difference between the game running at full speed or not.
         - Start another game against the CPU and observe the FPS.  If it's still not running at 60 FPS, stop the game and go into "Config" again.  Under the "GPU" tab, try changing the "Renderer" to "OpenGL".
   3.  If the game runs at 60 FPS, I highly recommend changing some settings to make the game look much, much better.  After changing each of these, start a game against the CPU and make sure the game is running at 60 FPS.
      - Under the "GPU" tab, increase the "Resolution Scale".  In general, the higher the resolution, the better the game will look.
      - Under the "GPU" tab, increase the "Anisotropic Filter".
      - Under the "GPU" tab, enable "VSync".  WARNING: Vsync adds latency, but it shouldn't be perceptable.  If you are playing competitively, I would recommend leaving this option disabled.
   4.  In the game settings, I recommend lowering the commentator volume to about 75%.  I find that it's much louder than the sound effects and music.
- Jailbroken PS3 installation instructions:
   1.  Install the first PKG file ("NBA_JAM_On_Fire_Edition_2023_v1.0_by_johnz1-Part_1.pkg")
   2.  Install the second PKG file ("NBA_JAM_On_Fire_Edition_2023_v1.0_by_johnz1-Part_2.pkg")

=== FAQ's ===
Q:  Hold on a second...  I love NBA JAM.  Is this real?!
A:  Yes.  It's real, it's free, and it's spectacular.  If you like NBA JAM then you're probably going to love this.

Q:  Is this a new game created by EA?
A:  No, this is not a new game.  This is a fan-made conversion mod of NBA JAM: On Fire Edition.  You must own the original NBA JAM: On Fire Edition in order to play this game.

Q:  How can I pay you or donate to this project?
A:  This project is entirely and strictly free.  There is no Patreon or GoFundMe or PayPal.  You cannot send me money for this project.  Please just enjoy it :)

Q:  How can I play this online?
A:  This game is not playable on PSN.  I highly recommend using Parsec to play online.

Q:  Why are there only 21 teams?
A:  Player heads and uniforms take a long time to create.  I simply haven't been able to make every player or team, and I'm not sure if I ever will.

Q:  Why are there players with no profile photo and zeroes for all ratings?
A:  Blank players were added to teams with only two players.  If a team only has two players, then you can't change which player you play as; player 1 will always be the player in the first slot and player 2 will always be the player in the second slot.  By adding a blank player, you can change which player you play as.

Q:  I found something wrong with the game.  How can I report it to you?
A:  Before contacting me, PLEASE read this entire document.  If it isn't mentioned here, you can report bugs by posting in this project's thread on the NLSC forums (nba-live.com) or emailing nbajamofe@protonmail.com.

Q:  Why are the 3PT ratings so low?  Steph Curry only has an 8 3PT but he's the best shooter ever!!!
A:  Some player ratings have a maximum value that is lower than 10, in an attempt to balance the gameplay.  Please read the "Player Ratings" section above for more information.

Q:  Why are there courtside banners for other videogames?
A:  The 1990's NBA Jam games had courtside banners for a variety of things, including other videogames.  For this project, every arena has a banner for one of my favorite videogames.

Q:  What's next?
A:  Soon I will release a collection of documents, files, and tools that explain how to mod this game.

Q:  Will there be updates to this project?
A:  I'm not sure.  With the amount of roster turnover in the NBA these days, it's a lot of work to keep it updated.

=== HOW TO HELP ===
- Many elements of the game have been figured out, but there are still many more that remain unchanged from the original game.  Solving these would really take this game to the next level.  I feel like I've taken this game as far as I can with what I've figured out.
- If you think you can help with any of the items below, please reach out to me at nbajamofe@protonmail.com, or post in this project's thread on the NLSC forums (nba-live.com).
- Edit 'attribdb'.  I think this is the most important file to work on right now.  It controls many parts of every player model, including which uniform they wear, the shape of their body, and whether they wear short shorts or long shorts.  Until this file is editable, changing which uniform a player wears is an arduous process.
- Expand the number of teams.  I couldn't find a way to add a 68th team and not have the game crash.
- Expand the number of arenas.
- Change the position and size of jersey numbers and names.
- Change the color of the team-controlled player accessories.
- Edit the shooting animations.  It would be great to create new signature shots.
- Edit the commentary audio.  I have been able to play back these audio files outside of the game, but haven't been able to edit them.  Existing audio could be spliced together to create names for new teams and players.  For example:
   - "Charlotte" and "Hornets"
   - "Anthony" and "Davis"

=== THANK YOU'S ===
- Luigi Auriemma, for creating and supporting QuickBMS - and for his "nbajamfire.bms" script.
- Artem Khassanov, for his work on TDB databases.  He provided "TDBAccess" libraries and a VB template app that made it easy for me to make the 'bounce.db' editor.  He took time to personally help me get off the ground with this, and I thank him profusely.
- The author(s) of DB Master
- The author(s) of DB Converter

=== CHANGELOG ===
- v1.0 (2023-04-23)
   - First public release
Last edited by johnz1 on Tue May 02, 2023 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
johnz1

Re: NBA JAM: On Fire Edition 2023

Postby Andrew on Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:33 pm

Awesome to see it released!
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby sticky-fingers on Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:49 pm

REally cool, thanx :applaud:
sticky-fingers

Postby hollshore on Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:18 am

Thanks for the hard work on this... now, let's jam!
hollshore

Postby JuicyShaqMeat on Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:56 am

Congrats on another amazing Jam mod, johnz1! This must be filled with tons of hardwork and perservance, and we all look forward to playing it :applaud:
Thank you Kobe!

Until 2020, I made NBA 2K11 patches including jerseys, courts, logos and classic teams.

My YouTube channel | Pistons Association story - 2K11
JuicyShaqMeat
I want that

Postby stran0010 on Mon May 01, 2023 6:37 pm

Tried installing the .pkg files on my jailbroken ps3. It installs but When starting the game the screen goes black and I have to physically pull the power cord to reboot. Havent been able to successfully run the game on PS3hen.
stran0010

Postby johnz1 on Tue May 02, 2023 12:43 am

stran0010 wrote:Tried installing the .pkg files on my jailbroken ps3. It installs but When starting the game the screen goes black and I have to physically pull the power cord to reboot. Havent been able to successfully run the game on PS3hen.

Wow. That's new. Sorry, I've tested on my Rebug 4.84.2 PS3 and it worked fine. No long startup or anything. Someone else tested on 4.89. He said "The only thing is it took a long time to start. It went to a black screen for almost 2 minutes. I thought my PS3 crashed. I was about to get up to restart my PS3 and then it finally booted up."
johnz1

Postby stran0010 on Tue May 02, 2023 2:39 am

johnz1 wrote:
stran0010 wrote:Tried installing the .pkg files on my jailbroken ps3. It installs but When starting the game the screen goes black and I have to physically pull the power cord to reboot. Havent been able to successfully run the game on PS3hen.

Wow. That's new. Sorry, I've tested on my Rebug 4.84.2 PS3 and it worked fine. No long startup or anything. Someone else tested on 4.89. He said "The only thing is it took a long time to start. It went to a black screen for almost 2 minutes. I thought my PS3 crashed. I was about to get up to restart my PS3 and then it finally booted up."

I’m using a 4.90 PS3Hen system. I will try again. I noticed on the read me file it list v1.1 but the actual download the file is v1.0? Is there a new version somewhere? When I hover over the game in the XMB menu the game has the little preview and starts playing jam music so I’m pretty sure I installed it correctly. I will try loading it again and waiting through the black screen.
stran0010

Postby johnz1 on Tue May 02, 2023 3:09 am

stran0010 wrote:
johnz1 wrote:

I’m using a 4.90 PS3Hen system. I will try again. I noticed on the read me file it list v1.1 but the actual download the file is v1.0? Is there a new version somewhere? When I hover over the game in the XMB menu the game has the little preview and starts playing jam music so I’m pretty sure I installed it correctly. I will try loading it again and waiting through the black screen.

Yikes! That's a bug. Thank you for pointing this out. The readme is mistakenly referencing a soon-to-be-released version of Legends On Fire Edition.
I just fixed the first post and the readme, and uploaded it.
johnz1

Postby stran0010 on Tue May 02, 2023 4:46 am

I just tried again and waited over 10 minutes on the black screen. Pressing the power button on the PS3 makes a beep sound but does nothing. Only way I was able to restart the console was unplugging the power cord.

This is how I installed it.
Put .pkg 1 and 2 on usb drive
Turn on PS3 and then enabled HEN
Plug USB into PS3 and selected install .pkg 1 from root usb and then installed .pkg 2.
See NBA jam icon on XMB and press start
Screen turns black.

Not sure if I’m doing anything wrong. Specifically just purchased a PS3 and installed PS3Hen for your NBA jams mod so fairly new to this PS3Hen scene.
stran0010

Postby johnz1 on Tue May 02, 2023 4:49 am

stran0010 wrote:I just tried again and waited over 10 minutes on the black screen. Pressing the power button on the PS3 makes a beep sound but does nothing. Only way I was able to restart the console was unplugging the power cord.

This is how I installed it.
Put .pkg 1 and 2 on usb drive
Turn on PS3 and then enabled HEN
Plug USB into PS3 and selected install .pkg 1 from root usb and then installed .pkg 2.
See NBA jam icon on XMB and press start
Screen turns black.

Not sure if I’m doing anything wrong. Specifically just purchased a PS3 and installed PS3Hen for your NBA jams mod so fairly new to this PS3Hen scene.

That looks right to me. Sorry, I don't have any advice for you. I haven't been in the PS3 jailbreaking scene in a very long time.
johnz1

Postby stran0010 on Wed May 03, 2023 4:56 pm

If anyone knows how to or has successfully loaded this game onto PS3Hen 4.90 please share. I would really like to play this game on console with TV screen and controller
stran0010

Postby resurrecta on Mon May 29, 2023 8:38 am

I assume it's still a wip as I don't get all the teams? I tested using RPCS3.
resurrecta

Postby Andrew on Mon May 29, 2023 10:21 am

johnz1 covered that in the readme.

9 teams are missing. Please don't request that I add these teams. The answer is always the same: player heads and uniforms take a long time to create. I simply haven't been able to make every player or team. There may be more releases of this project with more teams and players, but asking for this won't make it happen any faster.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Drewbdoo71 on Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:46 am

How do I access the unlockable teams like The Beastie Boys and others, when I go to Jam central it says there owned but I don’t see them?
Drewbdoo71

Postby johnz1 on Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:19 am

Drewbdoo71 wrote:How do I access the unlockable teams like The Beastie Boys and others, when I go to Jam central it says there owned but I don’t see them?

There are no unlockables. No fantasy players/teams.
johnz1

Postby Prime15 on Mon Jun 19, 2023 4:57 am

I keep getting the trial version. I have the game downloaded into dev_hdd0. What part am I missing to get it to play the full version?
Prime15

Postby WillyJakkz on Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:06 am

Wow had played the NBA OFLE then left for a minute due to work scheduling etc happened upon the Youtube vid and saw this!

You da man johnz1 and all else involved thank you very much!!!

Oh yeah read the OP one day my Magic will be good enough to get updates lol
WillyJakkz

Postby ehlomint on Sat Aug 05, 2023 10:12 am

Any update on releasing the mod tools and tutorials? Let me know if you need help testing or reviewing. Thanks!
ehlomint

Postby DCAllAmerican on Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:10 am

I really appreciate you doing this for the world.
I really wish more people knew what they were missing out on with this and the Legends edition.
DCAllAmerican

Postby johnz1 on Fri Sep 01, 2023 4:55 am

Prime15 wrote:I keep getting the trial version. I have the game downloaded into dev_hdd0. What part am I missing to get it to play the full version?

Are you using RPCS3 or a jailbroken PS3? In either case, it sounds like you're using an older version because the latest versions come as PKG files that can be installed by the OS.
I hope you've already figured it out and are able to play.
johnz1

Postby johnz1 on Fri Sep 01, 2023 4:56 am

WillyJakkz wrote:Wow had played the NBA OFLE then left for a minute due to work scheduling etc happened upon the Youtube vid and saw this!

You da man johnz1 and all else involved thank you very much!!!

Oh yeah read the OP one day my Magic will be good enough to get updates lol

Hah! Yeah the Magic are on the rise. Thanks WJ
johnz1

Postby johnz1 on Fri Sep 01, 2023 4:58 am

ehlomint wrote:Any update on releasing the mod tools and tutorials? Let me know if you need help testing or reviewing. Thanks!

I stopped working on the tooling when the summer started. I'm going to resume very soon. I promise I'll have it out this year.
And yes, it would be great to have someone for testing and reviewing. I'll get back to you about that.
johnz1

Postby johnz1 on Fri Sep 01, 2023 4:59 am

DCAllAmerican wrote:I really appreciate you doing this for the world.
I really wish more people knew what they were missing out on with this and the Legends edition.

What a great post. My friends and I completely agree. This game is a gem.
Thank you very much
johnz1

Postby freethrowtommy on Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:30 am

I can't believe this exists. I was on Google, searching for NBA Jam 23, thinking maybe there had been another SNES update, and a write up about this was the top comment. This is incredible. Can't wait for a new season patch hopefully getting in all the latest moves!
freethrowtommy

Next

Return to Other Basketball Games