Sonic Mania (Genesis styled Sonic game in 2017?)

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Sonic Mania (Genesis styled Sonic game in 2017?)

Postby atlwarrior on Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:08 am

Are my eyes lying to me? I feel like a kid again. This is the real Sonic! Tears of joy! Congratulations Sega!!!

phpBB [video]
atlwarrior

Re: Sonic Mania (Genesis styled Sonic game in 2017?)

Postby Andrew on Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:17 am

I was a Nintendo fanboy growing up, so Mario and Zelda are my first party franchises of choice (albeit ones I haven't played since the Nintendo 64). But that's pretty cool to see.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby atlwarrior on Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:37 pm

I grew up on Sega Genesis. Sonic 2 very first video game I ever played.
atlwarrior

Postby [Q] on Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:33 pm

Looks cool. I grew up on both Nintendos but my cousin had Sonic 2 for Genesis so I did really enjoy playing that. They've made several attempts at reviving the series with "new 2-D adventures" before, so I don't know if this will be any different. I do like the old-school graphics style though so this might be their best chance at bringing it back
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby atlwarrior on Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:43 pm

[Q] wrote:Looks cool. I grew up on both Nintendos but my cousin had Sonic 2 for Genesis so I did really enjoy playing that. They've made several attempts at reviving the series with "new 2-D adventures" before, so I don't know if this will be any different. I do like the old-school graphics style though so this might be their best chance at bringing it back

The guys behind this are Stealth and Christian Whitehead. They are using an engine identical to the Genesis but with better graphics. Guys used to do Classic Sonic fan games so good, Sega asked them to do Widescreen support remakes of Sonic 1, Sonic CD and Sonic 2 so this won't fail like Sonic 4. I know it sounds like a broken record but trust me these guys are good. Here's some of their work. They added 2 unlockable characters and other changes in these games, so they're not exactly like the original titles. You should look them both up on youtube too.They have a lot of Sonic related stuff they made over the years.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Made a completely new stage for Sonic 2
phpBB [video]
atlwarrior

Postby [Q] on Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:26 am

Did they make the phone port for Sonic 2? I have that and they let you play as Knuckles which I don't remember being in the game
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby atlwarrior on Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:00 am

Yes they did Sonic 1 & 2 on mobile & CD on all the consoles. They put Knuckles in Sonic 1 and Tails was never playable in the original Sonic CD. That's never been done before but Knuckles was kinda already in Sonic 2. You were able to play with Knuckles in Sonic 2 if you did this on your Sega genesis...

Get the best genesis game ever made if you did this...

This was the birth of DLC... It all started with Sega. First game to ever do it. Back then it was called Lock-on technology.
atlwarrior

Postby benji on Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:58 pm

phpBB [video]
benji

Postby [Q] on Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:36 pm

Although sonic 2 will always be my favorite, I kinda wish I had gotten into sonic 3 with the michael jackson soundtrack
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby atlwarrior on Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:36 pm

benji wrote:
phpBB [video]

Just goes to show Sonic still hasn't topped his glory 2d days so it's good they are finally going back to where he started. Sonic Generations wasn't bad but it didn't catch my interest enough to buy it.

[Q] wrote:Although sonic 2 will always be my favorite, I kinda wish I had gotten into sonic 3 with the michael jackson soundtrack

There are Genesis emulators. Sonic 3 & Knuckles is not a waste of time. You get a shit ton of levels in one game. Sonic, Tails have completely different stories from Knuckles and you get three characters to play with. Knuckles can glide and climb walls and Tails can fly unlike the the original Sonic 2 He can fly in Sonic CD remastered, Sonic 1 mobile and Sonic 2 Mobile. Sonic also has new moves of his own. The levels are huge. It's basically Sonic 2 on steroids. The game is better than Super Mario World.
atlwarrior

Return to Off-Topic